Wednesday, July 28, 2010

2 month check up

Levi weighed in at 9 lbs. 6 oz. today. The doctor and nurses were excited about how much he's grown. The oral vaccination didn't go so well. He has a sensitive gag reflex and got choked on it. The nurse got really freaked out, but he was okay.

I brought a preventative medicine checklist for Down Syndrome and had it sitting on the exam table. The doctor already had one in Levi's file and told me we were all caught up. He reminded me that he did a thyroid test last time we were there. It was comforting knowing he took the time to go the extra mile. Many pediatricians aren't aware of the extra tests that should be done at certain ages since kids with DS are more likely to have certain health issues. One example is the thyroid function test that should be done twice a year.

I was telling the doctor about how impressed the OT was with Levi's muscle tone. He stood up tall and said, "Well, I see a lot more 2 month olds than that OT does, and Levi is right on target." He thinks Levi is doing what a typical 2 month old child would be doing at this age.

My friend, Meredith, came with me to the appointment to help out with Adam (who was an extremely good boy). After the check up we had lunch and took Adam to play at the mall in the play area with big, soft toys to climb on. He had a blast skipping around and climbing on things. By the way, Adam is still sleeping in his big boy bed. We've gone through a few days of repeatedly putting him back in it after he gets up and runs down the hall, but tonight, he didn't get up once. It wasn't easy getting him to that point. Wes is so good to remind me not to give in, and it is that consistency that pays off.

This morning, Adam crawled into our bed around 7 and just laid there between us. I rubbed his back awhile, and he said, "Mommy, I love you."

Last night I replaced all the newborn sized clothes in Levi's drawers with the next size up. I just love putting larger sized clothes in the dresser and closet for my boys. It reminds me that time is passing quickly and takes me back to those days that I was longing for children. I hold up each outfit and savor the moment. It is in those moments that I am so thankful to finally be a mom. It is a very special time for me. I love having kiddos in this house...and yes, we want more...in due time...

2 comments :

Leah said...

I didn't get to talk to you about this at Bible study, but I'm so glad that everything went well with Levi's check-up today! I'm also praying for your friend and her family.

K said...

I'm so glad that the 2 month check-up went so well. Reading about changing out the clothes is so sweet. I loved putting all of Baby V's clothes into the dresser and in the closet. I can't wait to see him wearing them. You are a wonderful mom and it's so great to have you as a resource. Thank you so much!