Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tuesday Tidbit: Three Books a Day

Three Books a Day

(photo by Megan Tibbs, Gypsy Lane Studio)

A couple years ago, I read a great book called "Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Your Children Will Change Their Lives Forever."

Did you know that experts say children need to hear a thousand stories read aloud before they begin to learn to read for themselves? That's right...one THOUSAND stories. If that sounds intimidating, think of it this way, 3 books a day, every day, for a year. That is very doable. You don't even have to read 3 different books each day! Reading "Go Dog Go" all three times is A-OK!

Keep in mind that the television talks AT children, not TO children. Passively hearing words is not the same as the bonding, conversational experience that comes from reading.

So if you aren't already doing this, I encourage you to start today. Three books a day, every day. I have a feeling you will enjoy it as much as your children do!

13 comments :

raising4princesses said...

beautiful and very thought provoking. Thanks so much for this beautiful challenge! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

JC said...

I have always loved bedtime stories with my kids...We made sure to read at least one a night and I feel that quality time with my children paid off...Nothing makes me smile more than walking by my 14 year olds room at night and seeing his video games off and him laying there reading a book :)

April Vernon said...

Thanks so much for the invite! Can't wait to check out your blog and all the great links you have there!

April Vernon said...

How cool that he'd rather read a book than play video games! I'd be so proud!

Leah said...

Reading is definitely a LOVE at our house! Looks like a great book! :)

April Vernon said...

And I imagine Eli might write his OWN book one day!

Anonymous said...

Last night I drew the line after 5 readings of There's A Mouse About the House...so Remi took it to Chandler and had him read it to her! I'd read her five other books before that one, so does that mean I get to skip today? ;) Just kidding--I love that time, and I especially love that she always wants to "read" the books back to me when we're done.

April Vernon said...

Ha ha! Love your family in so many ways!!

Becky said...

We love to read here! My oldest was a born reader, and my little one with down syndrome who is four and a half can read aight words and is starting to sound out words. So, this is an interesting bit of knowledge! Thanks for sharing....

Laura said...

I love reading to Colin and Ben. Ben, though, is often impatient and seems like he doesn't enjoy books. But that doesn't stop me from reading to him!

Far Above Rubies said...

I love reading to my children. So good to be able to see their eyes light up with each turning of the page.

Far Above Rubies said...

Btw, you have the cutest little boys.

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you so much for inspiring me! I'm ashamed to say I don't read 3 books a day to my kids (3 year old and 6 month old). Primarily because my 3 year old seems to go through phases of loving books and then being super annoyed at them. You've just encouraged me to keep on trying and praying for him!