Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 1

When the pediatrician came to see us Thursday (around 7:30am), he seemed so nervous. Levi has some symptoms of having Down's Syndrome, but there is no way to know for sure without a blood test to check his chromosomes. He has only one crease going horizontally across the palm of his hand, where most people have two. (I know, you had to pause and look at your palm, we did, too :) He also has extra skin around the back of his neck. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but I do see a thickness to the back of his neck that is noticeably different. He also just isn't really strong.

Throughout the day, I just kept looking at Levi and wondering. I looked online a little at physical characteristics and for a while would think he didn't have enough characteristics. I'd look at him and think he looked just like Adam. I'd look at him later and think, he must have Downs. As the day went on, I thought more and more that the doctor is probably right. After Levi was born, Wes & I kept wondering if something was wrong from little things we'd noticed.

Wes' parents have been staying at our house with Adam. His mom stayed with us the whole week before Levi came, knowing that it could be anytime. She was able to be there with us for the birth, too. They brought Adam up to meet his baby brother yesterday. Adam really seemed to understand who he was and would just smile and pat him on his tummy really gently. It was so sweet, and I'm glad he did so well. He will be a great big brother.

When the doctor stopped back by last night after seeing Levi again, he said that they couldn't get enough blood to do the test (which we already know from the nurses) and that they'd try again today. Before leaving, he said, "In my heart of hearts, I think we need to continue with the testing." I guess that was his way of saying that he is pretty sure that the test will come back positive.



2 comments :

Tracy Batchelder said...

I love the photo of the four of you--such a beautiful family! Levi is so precious. Praying for you as you wait for the test results. God is good and you will find strength in Him.
~Tracy

Anonymous said...

Love all of the pictures! He is a beautiful, special and obviously loved little boy. You will be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself.
Sarah