Sunday, July 10, 2011

Block Party!

I have never been able to go to one of our annual neighborhood block parties. I have been out of town every year that I can ever remember there being one. Even though I already had a busy day planned, I knew the block party would be my last function of the day. So Saturday morning, while Wes & our handy brother-in-law started on some home improvements, I took Levi to our Down syndrome association meeting (45 minutes away from home), ate lunch with a friend, stopped at the store, went to get Adam from his grandparents (an hour away), fixed a salad there, then drove an hour home and plopped the kids and the food in our double stroller & took off. I wasn't about to miss it!

And what an event it was! I never imagined so many people would be there! There were even tents and porta-potties! It was nice catching up with people and getting to meet people we often just wave at as they drive by. The couple hosting it started by acknowledging a family for buying and fixing up a house that needed some TLC. Everyone gave a round of applause. There was a prayer before the meal, and it was just a great night! I appreciated that everyone was told to bring their own non-alcoholic beverages, and there wasn't even any smoking. A few groups played corn-hole after the meal. I'm really glad I made an effort to get there and sure hope I get to go to more in the future.
(Our across-the-street neighbor, Dave :)

By the way, my salad (Paula Dean's Corn Salad- which I failed to get a photo of) was a big hit. Here's the recipe...
2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 (10 1/2 ounce) bag coarsely crushed Fritos chili cheese corn chips
Mix everything together except the Fritos. Add the Fritos just before serving.
(I didn't use the green pepper- FYI. We no likee.)


And I came home to this new bathroom floor and other improvements! Thanks, guys!
Extra prayers are going out tonight for our friend "Grandma Temple" who starts chemo tomorrow and no longer has her beloved husband. I know his love and affection would mean so much to her right now in this tough time.
We love you and are praying for the best!

2 comments :

Leah said...

Looks like a lot of fun! :) I love that salad (but with the peppers), too! Who is taking Temple to her treatment?

April Vernon said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think her brother took her. She left a message last night that she was doing remarkably well.