Sunday, August 7, 2011

Poor Baby

This morning Levi woke up with an obvious sinus infection...so bad his eyes were oozing and his beautiful lashes were stuck together. Wes took him in to see the doctor while Adam & I attended Bible class & worship. I am so thankful for a pediatrician's office with an after-hours number, last minute availabilities, and Sunday/holiday appointments when necessary. On top of everything else he has been dealing with, he has a ear infection, too. I am thankful this is only his second one, but I still feel so bad for him. All of this stems from the virus he got last week.

The worst news is that he is still losing weight. He is down to 15 lbs. 10 oz., which is below the 10th percentile even on the Down syndrome growth chart.

He started losing weight when he stopped nursing. He is drinking from a valveless sippy cup but rarely gets more than 4 oz. out in a day. At his one-year check up, I brought it up, and the doctor told me that Levi would figure out how to drink & would get what he needed from his food in the meantime. At his appt. last week, we saw he was losing weight, and the doctor told me to feed Levi high protein, high fat foods, which I admit I haven't been focusing on. He started drinking Pediasure today & loves the strawberry flavor. He took about 10 oz. and I am so happy about it.

I usually am tougher about this stuff, but have really felt down today. I guess because I blame myself about his weight. I am praying all improves quickly for him.

3 comments :

Leah said...

I will keep you all in my prayers! I'm sure that Pediasure will put some weight on him soon! Hugs!

wendi said...

You are such a wonderful dedicated mom! You do what most could not. Keep your chin up April!

JC said...

Aw, poor little Levi. Hope he is feeling better today...I have just started my little Nephew Austin on pediasure, he is 13 and only weighs about 67lbs. April, you are a Great Mom! I hope today is a little easier on you, thinking of you and sending you a hug :)