Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

I recently read that New Year's Resolutions are in one year and out the other. Some people don't even want to make any and feel like it is pointless, but I think any attempt to better oneself is a step in the right direction. There are so many things I want to do better, and it is overwhelming to think how much more time and energy changing even one habit is going to be. Still I do have some goals for the new year.

I am not going to quit if I don't do something ever single day and will just be happy with any improvements I make. Here are the things I'm working on...being a better steward of our money (I am super excited about all these new coupon tricks I am learning. So much fun!), cooking more and eating out less, spending more time in prayer & Bible study, and changing my morning routine for the better. That is the biggest challenge I am working on. Both boys are finally sleeping through the night but I usually wake up to a whirlwind of taking care of everyone and often don't even have time to wash my face or comb my hair until Adam lays down for his nap at noon.

At our seminars, we often talk to the teachers about how hard it is to take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. Every airplane flight begins with a safety demonstration, and they always tell you to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others. When I first heard that, I thought it was absurd. My first instinct would be to help my children, but then I realized that I wouldn't be much help to the people around me if I was passed out from lack of oxygen.

I think a morning walk with my dog (and no stroller to push or children to strap in and pack for) is just the oxygen I need, but it is going to take a LOT of willpower to make it happen (even though I know how good it would be for me). I'll let you know if I actually start following through with this goal or not.

3 comments :

Leah said...

Sounds like some good goals! :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

It's so refreshing to find someone willing to set goals. I've come across too many people this week who say they will not make resolutions because they will never keep them. Why are people so unwilling to hold themselves accountable? I think the practice of self-discipline is rare in our society and that concerns me.
~Tracy

Colleen Taylor said...

Good goals, mine are pretty similar ... so far staying strong with the Bible study one. Having a little time to myself and working out is the hardest of them all because I never have that "me" time with work!