Thursday, January 17, 2013

Progress?

This is Adam's fifth day of antibiotic. He has been having symptoms that I have not talked to many people about because they have been so upsetting to me. In addition to the physical issues (which there have been more of this week), he has been hyperactive, impulsive, easily upset, and has a hard time following directions that he usually doesn't have trouble with. He threw a fit last night because he didn't want to go to bed. He flailed around and gave himself a bump on his head. He has had a difficult time with conversation. He would forget what he was saying or get confused while talking. He just has not been himself. The OCD behaviors haven't caused major problems. The tics are upsetting to watch. But seeing Adam's sweet personality slip away has been really, really hard on me. I have been praying so hard about this.

Today, I saw improvement. He made jokes. He talked about things he remembers happening, like he usually does ("Remember that time we had a snack outside at Aunt Tammi's?"). He winked and gave me a thumbs up after doing more than was asked of him. No getting stuck while trying to complete a thought and no getting overly upset. He seemed much better than yesterday personality-wise. And the tics are much milder and less frequent.

This picture was taken yesterday. Notice his right hand. He was in the middle of doing some repetitive opening and closing. I didn't see as much of that today. He still did some of the movements, but it was noticeably milder that it has been.

I am always grateful to be able to spend my days with him, but have been especially thankful this week. I don't know what to expect tomorrow, but today made my heart happy.

In other news, on Monday, Levi decided he would get out of bed at nap time. I had just reorganized his room.
And since he didn't get a nap, this is what he did at 6pm that night.
He had an ENT follow-up today and we will be doing a sleep study soon. His tonsils are large, and the doctor wonders if his tongue-sucking habit is actually a way to clear his airway.

The teachers that are on Wes's team went in together and got Adam these Lincoln Logs. He was so excited. His daddy was pretty happy, too. It always means a lot to share a favorite childhood activity with your own child. This was a special moment for everybody.

Some of our favorite people in all the world are going to be here tomorrow. The Albers Family is traveling from Texas, and we are so excited!

I will keep you posted on Adam. Please pray for continued progress. Thank you so very much for your encouragement, kind words, and especially the prayers. God listens.

10 comments :

maryln said...

So glad to hear this.

kelisha said...

This makes my heart happy :)

lovemy3 said...

I'm sorry yesterday was so hard, but so happy that today was better! Continued prayers for everyone!

Leah said...

Awesome! :) I'm still praying! Love the mess Levi made! ;) Have a wonderful visit with your friends! Oh, if you need those sheets I have them.

Karrie said...

I'm glad that yesterday was a better day! I will continue praying that each day gets better and better! :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

Thanks for the update, April. It can't be easy to go through what your family is going through, much less write it down. All of your brothers and sisters at Graeber Road are praying--as a congregation and individually. I'm thankful that Adam had a good day and pray that he has many more to come. Love you, Tracy.

Anna Theurer said...

Continued prayers. I can only imagine how frustrated and scared Adam (and you!) is.

Keep us posted on both Adams progress and Levi's sleep study.

Betty Collins said...

April, you and Wes know how much we all love you and the boys. These two precious boys are so special, and we'll continue to give thanks for them and pray for the healing. I hope it helps to know so many hearts are with you.

Becky said...

I am still praying for Adam. Day by day is so hard but God will help you through the smallest moments. I know you know that! Nice mess...:)

Laura said...

You have been in my prayers. Hope Adam has shown improvement these last 2 days.

Sometimes Ben goes to sleep at 6 too:)