Monday, June 20, 2011

First Step Towards Independence - Weaning

According to the Farmer's Almanac, this week is a good week to wean, and Levi made it through the day with only one nursing session. I hadn't heard of it until I was about to wean Adam, but a friend told me about going by the Farmer's Almanac, and it really was an easy transition. A farmer at church looked it up for me and said that if he doesn't go by the moon phases given in the almanac, his calves will cry and cry for their mothers, but if he does it at the right time, it is easy to wean them. Interesting stuff. I am sure people were a lot more in touch with nature in the past, and it is so cool to see God's purposeful design even in the little things.

When Levi went for his swallow test, I was told not to use a straw with him just yet b/c it was too much volume for him to handle. Since then I've been working with him to use a Nuby brand cup with a silicone spout. It is a mix between a bottle and a sippy cup. He can get liquid out by biting or sucking on it. He gets better and better every day, and I feel like now he can get enough liquid without having to nurse. "Baby 411" (one of my favorite go-to books for a baby's first year) says that at one year of age, the goal is 16 oz. a day of whole milk. It also recommends 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, which we are on track with.

The ENT wants us to wait a little longer on table foods, but all-in-all, Levi has done quite well and has had very few feeding issues. The biggest struggle was getting him to nurse, but he actually mastered that at 2 months. It is hard to believe we are already at the point of ending his nursing days (Now he is 13 months). I remember this being such a sad time for me with Adam. It was the first step towards him not needing me, and it hurt my heart. I was so proud of Levi today that it wasn't too hard on me, but I will miss that special bonding time with him. Nursing him was our first obstacle to overcome and my first chance to say, "We'll show the world what he is capable of." It has always been a time for me to reflect and celebrate his first victory of being able to do something a lot of people (including the nurses at the hospital) didn't think he'd be able to.

3 comments :

JC said...

I have never heard of the Farmers Almanac! It makes sense though, interesting! I'm glad things are going well with Levi and the weaning, it is a little bitter sweet though isn't it.

Leah said...

Glad all is going well! :)

Anonymous said...

Didn't even realize you were weaning him. I know that's bittersweet. You have a right to be proud of your long run of breastfeeding. You are taking great care of both your boys. But, I knew you would. ;)