Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The shoe has already dropped :(

The speech therapist came today. After I answered a list of questions, she told me Levi is delayed. She is going to come twice a month to teach us what to be working on with him. I knew he was delayed. That is why I called for a consultation, but somehow it cuts so deep hearing someone else say it and put it on paper. *Sigh*

Then the questions flood in: Have I been talking to him enough? Do I do as much with him as I did with Adam? Is this just part of having Down syndrome, or is there something I didn't do right? I know a lot of those thoughts are illogical, but that doesn't keep them from coming. This is just the beginning, and it isn't going to be easy.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Adam, who just turned two last month, is speaking in complete sentences. He has been cracking me up today. He is trying to say "I" but it usually comes out "my" (as in "MY hold it. MY want something to eat. MY go outside?" or when he doesn't want something, "No, MY don't"

And he found this card on Wes's nightstand. It is from Valentine's Day two years ago. I made Adam's little footprints into the shape of a heart. Adam brought it to me asking about it. I was trying to explain that those were his footprints, but since they are RED footprints, he is convinced they are Elmo's!!

1 comment :

Leah said...

Hang in there, April! Levi is precious! I love the heart picture! Great idea that I may have to use! :)