Saturday, October 2, 2010

Buddy Walk!!!

Today was a special day for our family. It was our first Buddy Walk. Grandpa Vernon (the accountant of the family) counted over 80 people walking with our group. It was touching to see so many people coming out to support their loved ones with Down syndrome. I met a lot of parents in our group, and everyone was super-friendly. There were so many parents I wanted to talk with longer, and I really felt like I didn't thoroughly visit with anyone that came out to walk with us. I just hope everyone had a good time.

Group Shot (there are a lot of people you can't see standing behind the rest of us)
Teachers From CES- We love you! Thanks so much for coming out! You are all so sweet and supportive of our family, and it means so much!
Rosanne, Abagail & Jaime
The Nances
Adam & his dear Aunt Tammi
We named our team Levi's 321 Genes b/c Levi has 3 copies (rather than the usual pair) of his 21st chromosome. Levi's Aunt Tammi got permission from the Levi Strauss Co. to use their logo for our shirts and banner. A sweet friend from church sewed the sign for us.




The Albers win our "Longest Distance Traveled Award." They are from Rosenberg, TX!!

/DSC_0139.JPG">The Combs Family. Love them!


My girls...Bri, Mer & Shelbers (girls in our youth group that make me feel young again. We love hanging out.)


This last picture is my favorite. Before the walk, they invited one person to come on stage with their loved one that has Down syndrome to sing the National Anthem. It was a moving moment. Of course, Keli & I ended it with a laugh by agreeing that we both sang exceptionally well...then realizing there were teenagers from a choir group standing behind us! Ha ha ha! Can you see how Levi is reaching out for Baby Miles? Too sweet!

There are so many people I didn't get pictures of!! I am proud of myself for enjoying the day and not focusing TOO much on taking pictures. Sometimes I miss the fun of the moment b/c I am too busy taking PICTURES of the moment.

I had my moments and have a lot on my mind right now, but all in all, it was a fantastic day. I look forward to many more Buddy Walks to come!

5 comments :

Leah said...

Great pictures and great day! :)

Colleen Taylor said...

how can i get a shirt?! those are awesome, glad the day was a blast! love you!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Though we couldn't be there in person, John and I were there in spirit. We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful day. We look forward to next year! Mike & Tammi

Aranem said...

Hey, my second time stopping in and I see my friend Tammi who suggested I follow this site! Thank you so much for posting the pictures!

Amy