Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I had a FABULOUS lunch today with two new friends that mean a lot to me. We were at the Olive Garden from 12 noon til after 3pm!! If we'd stayed another hour or two, we could have ordered dinner there, too!!

I had been looking forward to that lunch date so much and for so long. Just me and the open road on a 45 minute ride to Lexington. No diapers to change, no one to worry about but myself. So I was really surprised at how lost I felt when I got into a kid-free car. I love being a mommy! I knew I would, but it is better...so much better...than I'd dreamed.

So many deep thoughts keep running through this busy mind of mine. I feel so at peace with Levi's diagnosis right now. Especially since...for the moment...he is right where he is supposed to be developmentally. The problem is that I sometimes trick myself into thinking that things will stay that way. It isn't that I don't have high hopes and expectations, but a big part of Down Syndrome is developmental delays. The two go hand-in-hand. The good news is that he WILL reach his milestones, I don't have any doubts about that. It will just take him longer to get there.

We are in this little window of time where Levi is right on track. I know that in a few months, it all will change. I am scared. I want to handle it with poise. I want to be strong and proud. I want to feel ready for the next step.

2 comments :

Leah said...

You are an awesome Mommy! Glad you had a nice lunch! :)

Wes said...

I love you, Babe!