Monday, October 22, 2012

My Little Bible Scholar, Adam

At home, we talk about encouraging others, going the extra mile, and other practical Bible-based actions. I bring up verses and read them to Adam when applicable, like when we talked about treating others the way we want to be treated, but I wouldn't consider anything I teach to be a formal Bible education by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't anything we spend a great deal of time on but has become part of our morning routine during breakfast conversation. I am trying to use that time of day to do my own Bible reading, and hope that it positively influences my children to see me in God's Word every morning.

In Bible class, Adam is learning to sing the books of the New Testament. He totally shocked me the other day by singing them so well with very little help. I didn't even know they were teaching that! He enjoys retelling the things he learns and loves being in class, but I did not know they were teaching something that even adults have trouble remembering!

Yesterday, during the Sunday morning sermon, Adam heard the preacher talk about Jesus, looked up at me, and said, "Jesus said, 'Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.'" I told him he was right and was impressed that he had been paying attention in Bible class (because I did not teach him that verse).

Today I was telling a friend about Adam quoting that verse and asked Adam, "Were did you hear that?" (thinking that he'd tell me he heard it in Bible class)

He said, "It's in John 14."

I laughed and looked it up just to see if he was right...HE WAS!! John 14:9

Wow.



4 comments :

Becky said...

Love this. The faith of a child is the most amazing thing, and one I strive to have every single day. Thanks for sharing this.

JC said...

Aw, that's so neat...And such a sweet picture of him as well :)

Leah said...

Just another great reason why it's better for them to hear the sermon and not go out during that part. Great listening skills, Adam! :)

Colleen Taylor said...

love it! Ethan did this to me the last two nights ... Usually when it's bedtime I start the prayer, but when I said, "let's say our prayers" he folded his hands and said "dear God, thank you for today" and looked at me to make sure he could go on ... It filled my heart with so much joy! What a blessing from God our children can be!!!