Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday Tidbit: Getting Unstuck from a Rut

We have been in limbo for over a year now. Our house has been on the market. My work situation has changed. My husband is looking for a new job, and we are waiting, and waiting, and waiting for news on this waiver we've applied for on Levi's behalf (looonnggg story). Many other decisions depend on the outcome of those situations. I feel stuck in a rut and gaining 20 pounds has been only one of the bad side-effects for me.

How Do You Know If You Are in a Rut?
Can you remember the last time you tried something new?
Have you stopped challenging yourself?
Have you become comfortable living with unmet goals?
Do you spend more time watching others live out their dreams on television than pursuing your own?
Has average become acceptable?
Are you playing the victim?
Have you started blaming your state more on outside conditions than inside decisions?
Have you stopped playing to win?

If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, you might be in a rut. You may be in a rut at work. You may be overwhelmed with parenthood. You may be wishing you had made better choices for your health. Regardless of the reasons why, here are some ideas to help you get unstuck.
 
Getting Unstuck from a Rut
1. Look at it as a phase.
    If you look at this time in your life as something that will never pass, it will be much harder to break free. Take the pressure off and view the situation as something you can change & something that is temporary.
2. Take responsibility for today.
   Don't rely on outside forces for success. You have everything you need to make today a good one, and while big decisions may depend on external factors, the little things are what matter most. Make each day exceptional.
3. Break your routine.
   Get out of your bad habits by changing one step at a time. Take small steps each day towards a better life.
4. Take good care of yourself.
   It is tempting to self-destruct with bad eating habits. Many times, so-called "comfort foods" do more to make us UNcomfortable and miserable. Make healthy food choices and incorporate exercise into your daily routine.
5. Get all dolled up.
   Make an effort to look your best, it is likely to help you feel your best, too.

-April Vernon

(P. S. I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and would love to get even more readers. If you haven't yet, please click "join this site" on the right sidebar or "like" Living by Faith blog on Facebook. If you know anyone that might benefit from today's Tidbit, please share!)

Resources:
Anderson, D. (2004). You might be in a rut if... Retrieved from:  http://www.bluinc.com/news/inarut.html

Smith, J. (2009). Is your life stuck in a rut- 10 ways out. Retrieved from:  http://www.peak-personal-development.com/blog/index.php/is-your-life-stuck-in-a-rut-10-ways-out/

7 comments :

Becca said...

Great advice! I'm so sorry things have been in such limbo for you. Hope it all untangles soon. (((hugs)))

Karrie said...

Thanks for posting this, April! I, myself, have been somewhat of a rut too. I need to follow #4: I love my comfort foods but, oh, how I regret it the next day! :)

Leah said...

Awesome advice! :) Thanks for sharing! I love Karen Kingsbury's books and she always talks about different seasons in our lives. That has been very helpful for me! :)

lovemy3 said...

I recently have been working on getting unstuck from my rut! I started by working out a couple of months ago...knock on wood I'm still going strong. Last week a decided to give up all caffeine and diet soda...I guess that wasn't a rut...just a bad habit :-) Good luck with your rut...I know how easy it is to stay in one.

JC said...

Great post April!! Hope things start falling into place for you guys soon, and you can get out of the rut :)

Becky said...

I will be praying for your rut to be over soon..life is always filled with ruts, huh?

Laura said...

I was just telling Jim last night that I'm in a rut. Thank you for the tips to get out of it!