Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Am One of Those People

I had an interesting moment today. I was getting everyone buckled in the car after Levi's OT session, and there was a family walking into the same building. The mother was carrying her sweet daughter, who happens to have Down syndrome. I know this family and really enjoy visiting with the mother, but this little girl, I haven't seen much. I just stared at her...adoring her. You see, I am one of those people...one of those people that stare at people with Down syndrome...always have...always will. I stare with interest, with fascination, with wonder.

For some reason, the first couple of weeks after Levi was born, I didn't remember it. Maybe it was the hormones. Maybe it was the worry I had over his health. But ever since I was a child, I have been enchanted by people with Down syndrome. I used to think, as a parent, I could do that. I could handle that. I wonder if God will give me a child with Down syndrome, because I'd be totally okay with that.

So here I am, adoring this beautiful little girl with almond eyes. I was captivated like usual, and got lost in the moment. I was thinking about how cool she was. Thinking, "Hey, I wonder if..." Then I laughed and thought, "Oh, wait!!"

I am so glad this boy is ours.

Today, at his occupational therapy session, Levi stacked blocks. Physical therapy strengthens gross motor skills, like crawling & walking, while occupational therapy focuses on fine motor skills.
Adam & Addison had a great time, too!





Adam is drawing people with arms and legs now! I love to have him tell me about the picture and write down what he says word for word. How cute is this? I was impressed at how well he placed the stickers to complete the picture.
Here is something else I transcribed for him this week...his first sympathy card. He wanted to make a card for his grandparents, who's cat, Winston, passed away. Their dog is named B.J. just to give you the background needed to understand his thoughts.
While we were at the park the other day, Adam rode his tricycle. He needed a little help getting up a hill. I put the stroller right behind him and gave him the extra boost he needed. Little brother thought he was a big help!

"Yeh, I'm the man, alright."


Now big brother gives little brother a push!

I gave Adam permission to look at a dog, and the owner was very trusting. She let Adam hold the leash. It was only a matter of seconds before they both were all tangled up!


I love Adam's expression here..."Hmmm...."

I appreciate you taking the time to click your way over here and read my thoughts. If you haven't signed up to be a follower yet, you can click "join this site" on the sidebar. You can also follow via facebook or email. I LOVE comments. It makes it worth the effort when I know you are reading & are interested enough to give feedback.

And to those of you that I only know through the blogging world. Thank you!! I love following your blogs (and need to improve on my commenting skills). It means the world to me that we have become friends because we have sought each other out, and your interest in my family deeply touches my heart.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
-April

9 comments :

Becky said...

You have two handsome boys, and I love reading your blog. Your boys are blessed to have such a wonderful mother.

Karrie said...

I agree with Becky......you have two super handsome boys!!! I love reading your blog and seeing all the great photos! :)

Marci said...

I'm so glad you found my blog as I am enjoying reading yours now! :). I love all the pictures you post.

JC said...

You know I'm a huge fan of your blog :)....Looks like Levi is pretty darn good at stacking those blocks! And I love the picture of Adam pushing Levi on the swing...He is such a sweet big brother.

Leah said...

Fun pictures, April! :) You have some super cute and awesome boys to look at all the time!

Anonymous said...

Great post, girlie! Love you and yours, you know that?

Laura said...

I stare too:) Levi is great at stacking those blocks! So impressed!

Twilson9608 said...

I LOVE, love, love the drawings of the people!!! Both of my older girls drew their people like that first. "Potato People".

Leah said...

Oh my is Levi ever cute! Finally getting the chance to check out your blog. Beautiful writing, beautiful photos. Beautiful family. So glad to find you here!