Friday, December 9, 2011

The Reason for the Season?

The tree is finally up. I LOVE decorating the tree and have a hard time turning the lights off, even in the middle of the day. It makes me happy.
Adam decided to help me wrap gifts today... I set the roll of paper on the floor, and went to get the gifts. I came back to an unrolled roll of paper. Since it couldn't really be used for gift wrapping, I let him draw on it, which he thought was pretty cool. Then I decided to wait until he went to bed to wrap gifts.

I think there are people that let the Bible change them and those that instead, try to change the Bible. The Christmas holiday is no different. This poem was read during the sermon this Sunday, and I had to share.

It's Not In the Bible

As we travel through life, from day to day,
We hear a lot of things that the Bible doesn't say.
They tell us it happened on a cold December morn,
But the Bible doesn't say when the child was born.
The wise men came from the East- to make a call,
But the Bible doesn't say "There were THREE" after all.
It's true they brought gifts, and raced to see the sight,
But the Bible doesn't say they rode CAMELS that night.
It's a well known fact that the angels did sing,
But the Bible doesn't say that the ANGELS had wings.
The angels worshiped Him, and the shepherds did the same,
But the Bible doesn't say that REINDEER came.
The Bible doesn't say "When they made the Egypt flight;
that Mary rode a DONKEY and Joseph held a light."
It's fine to give gifts and to visit and to play,
But don't think of Christmas as a Bible holiday.
-Author Unknown

Don't get me wrong. We celebrate Christmas. There is a tree strung with lights in our home. There are stockings hung. We have an "Elf on the Shelf" that Adam searches for every morning. We listen to Christmas music all the time and sing along. What you will not find is a nativity scene in our house. They are not Biblically accurate. You will not hear us talk about Christmas as the celebration of Christ's birth. That is not Bibically accurate.

I understand that there are people out there that disagree, and I am not offended by that. I don't see it as disagreement with ME. It is the Bible I agree with, and I have had many conversations with people on other topics and what the Bible says. Some people just don't choose to read it, and others don't choose to agree with what they read.

Jesus is the reason for EVERY season. His birth is significant all throughout the year. I hope that everyone that celebrates Jesus will read the inspired Word of God and follow it completely. He is coming back, you know!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

4 comments :

Leah said...

Great thoughts! Your tree looks pretty! :)

Twilson9608 said...

Your tree is very beautiful!

JC said...

Excellent post!! I happen to agree with every single thing you wrote in here!!
Oh, and your tree is AMAZING!!! Had to laugh at Adams attempt to help wrap presents! lol

Laura said...

Totally agree with this post. And seeing the wrapping paper unrolled made me laugh!