Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hodge-Podge


I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis for about 3 years. It got so bad that I had knots up & down my calf muscle. I have had physical therapies & multiple cortisone shots that did nothing for me. I wore a night splint. I bought expensive orthodics. I wore the shoes that were supposed to help. I did stretches and used ice. I saw an orthopedic doctor that told me if the shots didn't work, surgery wouldn't work either, but the podiatrist I've been seeing told me that I would probably need the surgery.

Although plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot, it is directly related to tightness in the calf muscles. I could not figure out why things weren't getting better for me after all the stretches I have been doing for such a long period of time.

I finally asked my chiropractor about it, and he noticed that even my tennis shoes had a little bit of a heel. He said that my calf wasn't getting stretched out enough b/c of the shoes I was wearing (Danskos have been on my feet almost nonstop for the past several years). It made sense to me. Not only was I keeping my calf from getting a full range of motion, I was wearing these orthodics that kept my foot from stretching & moving, too.

The chiropractor recommended a "barefoot shoe," with no heel at all, and I cannot believe what a difference it has made.
These are Vibram Five Finger shoes. There are other barefoot shoes that do not have toes, but I just wanted to try them and absolutely love them. I felt much better in about 3 days, and I did nothing but change my shoes! Since then, I did a few massage therapy session (painful!) to work out knots in my muscles, and I've been doing some exercises to strengthen my feet. I still have a little discomfort but no pain, and am very thankful I didn't opt for surgery!

I have read a lot about barefoot running while researching the shoes and plantar fasciitis. Very interesting stuff.

Here's what else has been going on with us...
We mixed shaving cream & a drop of food coloring to make some great bathtub paint!

I got my hair cut short.
Our electricity was out for several hours the other night. These battery operated decorations came in handy. Adam & I played hide & seek with them. Quite fun! Maybe we'll play again sometime even when we do have electricity.
We spent Saturday with Wes's brother & family. Had a wonderful time. The highlight of the day for the little ones was this great park. Lots of fun for everyone.


Levi & his cousin, Tyler









And Halloween was a blast!!


It was absolutely hilarious watching Adam try to ring the bell in a costume that wouldn't let him reach!

We were very thankful to have Grandpa along for the ride this year!

October was Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Stay aware ;) More thoughts on that later this week.

7 comments :

Leah said...

Looks like you guys have been having lots of fun!!! :)

Karrie said...

Love the train and conductor outfits for Halloween! How fun!!

Melissa said...

My aunt has barefoot shoes too and loves them. Hope they continue to make you feel better!

Christie said...

Love love love the new do!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm gonna be trying that bathtub paint! Thanks for the cute idea. Someone I know will looooove it!

Laura said...

I'm going to try the bathtub paint too. I'm glad you are feeling better - the shoes are super cool!

P.S. I LOVE your pictures!

Ilisa Ailts said...

Thanks for reading my blog even though I haven't been here in a month! I miss your great photos and reading about your precious boys!

Great idea about the paint! I bet the lights and hide and seek was a memorable activity - cozy and fun!

I am very interesting in the shoes. I love running but do struggle with shin problems and back aches. I would love to learn more. Thank you for sharing!