Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Sweet Friend Will be Missed

John & Adam (May 2009)

John passed away this morning. Since I couldn't be with him in his last hours. I imagined myself holding his hand and telling him it was okay to let go until I heard the news. Oh, how I worry about sweet Bobbie and how she is doing. I haven't been able to reach her, but I know her loving family and brothers & sisters in Christ have their arms around her.

John was such a funny person. He even found humor in tough situations in order to make them more bearable. When Bobbie had health problems, he'd joke that he was going to trade her in for a newer model. He always seemed to know how I was feeling, even when I was trying to hide it. He knew the right things to say, whether I wanted to hear them or not and was a trusted friend and confidant.

I am thankful John got to see Levi a few months ago and think it is so special that they share May 27th as a birthday.

John was a man of God. He knew and studied his Bible, and we had many deep discussions about Scripture. I have been distraught by the words of comfort given at many funerals because the words used to encourage aren't always in line with the Bible. The Bible tells us how we will meet Christ and to encourage each other with the explanation. This is what the Bible says about death and meeting Christ...

I Thessalonians 4:13-18
13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words. "

3 comments :

Leah said...

I am sorry for your loss, April. I also like Psalm 116:15. Have a safe trip this weekend.

Tracy Batchelder said...

John was a blessing in the lives of so many of us. We will miss him dearly.

Fluffy PuMa said...

He was a wonderful guy...He always gave out hugs and made sure that I was being treated right by my boyfriend/fiancée :) I will miss him so much...