Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In Mama's Arms

This morning, I was sadly informed about this news story, in which a teacher's aide allegedly locked a 5 year old with Down syndrome in the closet at school. I am disgusted by the thought of it.


Levi,

I am so aware and appreciative of the way your small stature allows me to enjoy the baby stage for an extended period of time. (At 8 months old, you are less than 14 lbs, and can still fit into 3 month pants. That is about the 25th percentile on a Down syndrome growth chart and not even on the chart for a typical baby) Us mamas often wish our little ones would stay tiny forever, and while it won't be forever, you & I get to hold on just a little longer than most. When you are older, there may be days when I really do wish to come back to this time on our road together. A time where I can protect you from the world. A time when you don't stand out from the others. A time when no one judges or looks down on you.

But when I think about your future, I imagine you & I being big buddies, enjoying lots of activities together. I know you will brighten the days of our family, and I look forward to many laughs and meaningful memories with you by my side.
------------------
And, Adam, I can't into words what joy you are to us. The person that came up with the term "terrible twos" obviously didn't know any little boys like you.

You bring so much color to our lives.

1 comment :

Leah said...

Love this post, April! :) I couldn't agree more about wanting our babies to stay tiny longer (even though it is fun watching them grow up) and about the terrible twos! E-bug didn't go through that, either. In fact, that was one of my favorite times with him! Love your precious boys! See you this evening!