Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"What Is Wrong with Him?"

A few weeks ago, I got a call from the Medicaid office. They needed some information to finish up Levi's paperwork for his yearly renewal. Apparently, they didn't do something they should've done in OCTOBER, but that's not the point of my story. 

The woman on the phone was very pleasant, explained what happened, assured me that Levi was still covered on his Medicaid plan, and asked if I'd just answer a few questions for her.

Her first question was, "What is wrong with him?"

I responded with silence.

After a little while, she restated her question and asked, "What is Levi's diagnosis?"


He has Down syndrome, but there is nothing wrong with him. Thank you very much.

We actually think he's pretty great.

 

6 comments :

Leah said...

I would have responded with silence too. Although in a snarky after-the-fact mood I may have wish I said "What's wrong with you!?"

Laura said...

You handled it great! There is absolutely nothing wrong with Levi!!!!!!!

Leah said...

Glad he's still covered! :)

Anna Theurer said...

I am very jealous that you all get Medicaid. It is like jumping through hoops here in Texas. You need to have 72 hours hospital stay during the past year. . . something along the lines of irretractable seizures, g-tube feeds, oxygen or trach or some type of medical condition that requires nursing-type care. Ds alone doesn't mean anything to them. . . anyway, I love your response! The wording of her question was rather interesting and I would have been dead silent too. Uh uh. . . what Leah said "what is wrong with YOU?!?!?!" Anyway, I am really glad that he receive coverage. Very very lucky :)

JC said...

I've had people ask that about Russell too, it always makes my stomach turn. There is nothing "wrong" with my kid! I agree, you handled that very nicely!

Becky said...

I had a feeling from the title itself where this post was headed. How come we all have experienced a similar question? Sad really...and you did handle it so perfectly.