Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Am Glad It's Me

The other day, along with several others, I was listening to someone talk about something upsetting to her. I was taken aback when (in front of everyone else) she  stopped to tell me, "I don't mean to talk about this in front of you. I know you have problems."

Now, this woman doesn't have a mean bone in her body, and I can assure you she didn't mean anything negative by her words. I think that is why it has been on my mind so much. I don't think she was implying that I seem unhappy. What I think is that most people don't want to be in my shoes. I think that others would find my life problematic. The understanding I get from the general population is, "I'm glad you're handling this well, but I'm glad it's not me."

I am glad it's me.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

You know, I think you are right. They think that way because they don't get it, and how could they? They haven't been in your shoes to experience the challenges, but also the joys you have experienced. And truthfully, if you hadn't been through it yourself, you probably wouldn't completely get it either. It's one of those "you have to be there" things. People have made similar comments to me about homeschooling, or having four kids, or other situations they don't understand. "Glad it's you, not me." But I know they can't possibly know how great it really is because they just haven't ever experienced the joys I've been blessed with. YOU know how great your life is,and whether others recognize it or not doesn't change the way you've been blessed. :)

ckbrylliant said...

I am glad it is you too!! Awesome response.

Anna Theurer said...

Very insightful. I agree with the previous commenter about it having to be "you have to be there" things. I am glad it is you too! (and glad it is me!)

JC said...

Oh, he's too cute! I'm glad it's me too :)

Laura said...

I'm glad it is me too! For Ds Awareness Month I wanted to highlight my favorite post of the day. I think your post today is perfect to kick off the month!

Kristi said...

Very true.. i feel like there are some people that think that but really Im glad its me too:))

Karrie said...

Love this, April!!! I am glad it is me, too!!!
I am going to share your blog post because, seriously, you nailed it on the head!!

Un-fancy Mama said...

I get similar comments and I agree 100%. I am glad it's me too!

Jody said...

I'm glad it is me!