Wednesday, December 14, 2016

When "Not Right" Is Alright


I met a really sweet mom at the pediatrician's office today. She was very friendly and caring. She and her daughter interacted with Levi & Adam a lot. I am certain she meant no harm when she made a comment that has stuck with me all day.

While looking at Levi, she kind of jumped like something jogged her memory and said, "I'm glad I saw him because that reminds me about a gift I need to buy!" She told me about a family member that was born prematurely and is a twin. While her sibling is fine, she had some complications, and I'm assuming is intellectually disabled because the woman went on to say that she is buying this twenty-six year old a talking Care Bear stuffed animal for Christmas because she is "not right."

Not right.

She remembered her "not right" family member when she saw my "not right" son. Again, I do not think she meant any harm at all. It's just that those words have really been on my mind today. Mostly because I think Levi IS right. He is ALL that's right. He is loving. He is caring. He is funny, and he causes us to celebrate the little things in life. As a matter of fact, today we had several people check on him and celebrate with us that he is breathing properly (after a hospital stay due to pneumonia).

This little guy may be seen as "not right," but that's alright with me, and I am so glad he's mine.

1 comment :

Heather said...

Levi is more than "right". He is a beautiful boy perfectly created by our Perfect Creator! People say weird things without thinking sometimes. She could have even thought about her words later & wished for a do-over. I hope Levi & Adam didn't hear her, though!